Acting as a senior member of our small engineering team, the React engineer will help lead development on diverse and interesting projects, improving and evolving all aspects of the codebase. This is an outstanding opportunity to build your skillset across all parts of the tech stack, ship features to an audience of 10’s of Millions of users and learn from intelligent developers using new technology.
We are looking for someone with proven experience delivering a sizeable React application to production. Good knowledge of JS and React is essential, experience with mobile platforms is a considerable plus.
We use Relay to manage the data from our GraphQL API, so experience with that (or something similar like Apollo) is fantastic. We also test heavily and enforce type-safety on the frontend, so let us know if you have experience with Jest and Flow.
Mixcloud is an audio streaming platform connecting a global community of listeners and creators through audio culture. Listeners can access a unique collection of over 15 million radio shows, DJ mixes and podcasts produced and uploaded by over 1.3 million passionate tastemakers and curators around the globe. As a critical part of the global music and cultural landscape, we empower DJs, radio hosts, podcasters and tastemakers to build and inspire fan bases.
Mixcloud also helps connect brands to music and culture under our brand partnerships arm, LOUD. We create cutting-edge cultural solutions for brands such as adidas, W Hotels, Sonos, Dr. Martens, Eventbrite, and more. Whilst we have a great foundation in place, this is the beginning of the next phase of our journey. We are looking for smart and hungry people to join our incredible team and help us realise our vision.
- We have a large user base, but a small development team with a flat and flexible structure.The team consists of 16 developers with a wide range of experience and interests. We're an agile, driven and entrepreneurial group of creatives and technologists committed to helping each other grow. We care deeply about providing engineers the space to evolve and encourage self starters.
Our Tech Stack
- React/React Native, StyledComponents, Relay, FlowType, Source Control, Continuous IntegrationI/Continuous Deployment, Python (Django), GraphQL (3+ years live, 400+ Million queries a day), Fast dedicated servers / Infrastructure, Kubernetes + Docker, Terraform + Puppet, Nginx, MySQL/MariaDB, GlusterFS, Elasticsearch, Redis / Memcached, RabbitMQ, Github + CI systems.
We value techniques such as linting, automatic code formatting, unit tests, coverage reporting, snapshot testing, integration tests and type systems.
What will you do?
- Develop, prototype & optimise existing & new features
- Write, review and document code in various languages and frameworks
- Design Front-end solutions as well as continuously improve our offering
- Propose UX improvements
- Collaborate with the design and content teams to implement and develop designs through to functional web apps
- Take part in regular creative brainstorming sessions to improve the product quality.
- Engage in healthy dialogue around product briefs and provide feedback
- Proficient oral and written communication skills. Collaborates well in a team environment.
- Familiarity with the following technologies: React, Source Control, Continuous Integration
- Experience with API architecture and design
- Sensitive to team needs and priorities
- Knowledge of modern web technologies and techniques
- Understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions.
Nice to have
- Familiarity with Python, Django, GraphQL, Kubernetes + Docker, Terraform + Puppet, Nginx, GlusterFS, Elasticsearch, Redis, Memcached, RabbitMQ, Github + CI systems
- StyledComponents, Relay, GraphQL, Continuous Deployment
We are a rapidly expanding music tech business. We offer a culture of personal development and role growth. You will have the pleasure of working with a small team that punches above its weight, giving you the opportunity to explore creative ideas and expand on your role.
- Generous stock options: Fully vesting over 4 years
- Unlimited holiday policy
- Autonomy and flexible working culture: Work from home, flexible hours, and occasional remote work. We don't clock watch. We focus on happiness, output and quality of work.
- Work with intelligent people who contribute to the development community: We help sponsor and give talks at The London Django Meet-up group.
- Great office culture: Friday DJ lessons, Weekly team lunch provided, a kitchen stocked full of healthy snacks and a huge outdoor patio to soak up the sun and get some fresh air.
- Join a smaller development team with a flat structure with democratic decision making. We're quite open to suggestions from within.
- Personal development: we place a lot of importance in helping develop everyone on the team, in whatever ways people desire/need. This starts with helping identify the right areas for development, and then it could result in finding mentors/advisors, on the job training etc. Mixcloud also covers the cost of books you want to read.
This is a London based position.
Mixcloud is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.