Head of Communications
We are looking for an experienced Head of Communications to join Mixcloud to coordinate the company’s external communications across our owned social media channels, our partner and community channels and in print, broadcast and online press.
In partnership with the leadership team, you will build a powerful strategy to increase share of voice and drive stronger positioning & differentiation of Mixcloud in the marketplace. You will work across teams and projects at Mixcloud including community, brand partnerships and product marketing.
You are left brained and right brained. You will develop key messages, identifying the best stories to tell, where to tell them and how to tell them effectively. You will analyse data like a hawk to optimise our strategy and increase our effectiveness.
Mixcloud is a critical part of the global music & cultural landscape, with a foundation of 1M+ creators including DJs, tastemakers and radio stations who rely on us to connect them with fans and listeners, worldwide.
Whilst we have a great foundation in place, this is the beginning of a new phase of our story. We are looking for the smartest and hungriest people to join our small team and help us realise this vision. This is going to be a hard, but exciting challenge.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- You will own everything communications related within Mixcloud
- You will formulate a communications strategy that drives clarity of our positioning and differentiation in the market
- You will ensure all messaging is in line with the company’s objectives
- You will create channel and platform specific strategies whilst ensuring a coherent voice and consistent messaging across all channels and platforms
- You will oversee the successful launch of our new subscription model, and all other new product developments, ensuring we deliver compelling and informative communications with positive reactions and broad reach
- You will support any partner related communications liaising with the relevant in house teams to deliver effective comms
- You will implement these plans with the assistance of a Creative Content Producer
- You will be responsible for executive liaison and for positioning senior leaders in the press and at events
- You will understand market trends and be constantly on top of what the competition is doing
- You will liaise with the Head of Community to create promotional plans for new creators joining Mixcloud
- You will work with Community Relations to identify compelling stories we can tell about our community (e.g. community members reaching important milestones)
- You will work closely with the Brand Partnerships team to formulate and execute compelling communications plans around our brand partnership projects
- You will liaise with the Product team to learn of new product developments and will find imaginative ways of educating our users on the best ways to use them
- You will dig into company statistics to formulate insightful stories to share with press and on our social channels
- You will manage the growth of our press and influencer database
- You will respond to media enquiries in a timely manner
- You will explore new opportunities to generate positive press about Mixcloud
- You will source and liaise with third party suppliers
- You will be responsible for line management of the team (which you will build as the business grows)
- You will be responsible for overseeing all reporting and measurement
WHO ARE YOU:
- You are creative and strategic, with the ability to identify the hook in every story
- You are able to assist on multiple projects, to structure coherent plans and deliver them with ease
- You have experience working with press and know how to land impactful press pieces
- You have a deep knowledge of different social platforms and how to use each effectively
- You are digitally connected and curious
- You challenge and inspire teams to think differently about media channels and platforms
- You are organised, enthusiastic and passionate about Mixcloud
- You have a broad knowledge of music and podcasts
- You are interested in tech and know how to communicate developments in a compelling way
- You are professional at all times both within the team and when communicating externally
- You have excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- You believe in accuracy and efficiency
- You enjoy analysing data to help identify how to improve what you do
- You are a highly personable team player
- Ideally you have worked both agency and in house
- You have experience of working with brands which have a strong US presence
We are a rapidly expanding music-tech business. We offer a culture of personal development and role growth. You will have the pleasure of working with a lean but growing team that punches above its weight, offering you the opportunity to explore ideas and expand on your role.
You will sit within the Operations team, reporting to one of the Founders. Salary and equity offer is competitive and based on experience.
In addition to base salary, Mixcloud offers myriad benefits such as generous stock options, unlimited holiday policy, a flexible working culture, a great office environment and strong opportunities for personal development.